After, over four decades of involvement, working on several political campaigns, etc, as well as, reviewing, previous ones, the tone, vitriol, polarization, and divisiveness, today, seems to be, at, or near, the worst, in recent memory! One would think, after the past, 18 months, of misery (and worse), caused, as a result of this horrific pandemic, most individuals, would desire, a saner, nicer, level of conversation, instead of the polarizing, partisan one, we witness! Although, there is little – doubt, of the severity of these discussions, why have they become so FIERCE, and adversarial, when we face so many obstacles, today, and into the future? With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why it matters.
1. Fears; future; foes/ friends; furnish; fruition; functioning: These days, far – too many, seem to be following their fears, and prejudices, rather than seeking a common sense, relevant, sustainable solution! We need public officials, who consider, not only their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest, but the best path, forward, into the future! When we treat, those, we disagree with, as foes, instead of friends, it harms our ability to create and furnish, a functioning approach, which might introduce the finest approaches, into the future!
2. Integrity; ideology; ideals; insights; impacts; imagine: Unfortunately, it appears, too many officials, lack the absolute integrity, needed, to put, our national ideology and ideals, ahead of their fears and prejudices! Only, when insights, consider the impacts, and ramifications of their actions, will they imagine, the necessity of bringing us, together, for the greater good!
3. Empathy; emphasis; efforts; effects: Why won’t most elected people, proceed with genuine empathy, and place their emphasis, accordingly? They must realize their efforts, will, have effects (positive, and/ or, negative)!
4. Relevant; rational; rationale; responsive: Rational, fair – minded ideas and actions, based on relevant, sustainable solutions, are generally, the most responsive to our needs and priorities! A great leader must be ready, willing, and able to clearly articulate his rationale!
5. Character; create; coordinate/ cooperate: It takes significant quality of character, to be willing to create a system, aimed at coordinating others, and seeking cooperation, instead of encouraging, this continuing, polarization!
6. Excellence; endurance; enrich: Good – enough, and the same – old, same – old, ways, will not address significant obstacles, and challenges, such as the implications of Climate Change, the need for environmental protection (such as clean air and water), equal rights and freedoms, public health, ability to receive quality medical treatment (regardless of income), and ability to get, affordable prescription drugs, etc. This won’t occur, overnight, so we need to emphasize the need for endurance and patience, in order to enrich, most of our people, and the rest of this planet!
We cannot continue, this ugly direction, of FIERCE, divisive, adversarial, rhetoric! Will you demand better, of those, you vote for?