While, it’s great to be idealistic, unfortunately, it risks achieving, little, unless, one uses pragmatic idealism, in order, to bring people, together, for the greater good, and achieve a meeting – of – the – minds, rather than mere, partisan politics, as usual! It might make certain people, feel good, to focus – on, idealism, but, what good, is it, if nothing, of significance, is achieved, because, it doesn’t achieve a necessary consensus? In our system of government, where the Congress is, almost, evenly – matched, between the two major parties, those, who hold – out, for the unachievable ideal, instead of trying to achieve, what is, hinders genuine progress. With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 examples, of this, and why it matters.
1. Health; health care; prescription drugs: Shouldn’t the United States, which consider itself, to be the most advanced nation, in the world, provide the finest health care, and create a system, where health was considered a priority, and right, rather than, merely, a privilege, for the wealthiest, and elite? Why do the same, prescription drugs, cost, so much more, in this nation, than in most other developed nations? Shouldn’t the health, and well – being of our citizens, be a priority, regardless of politics?
2. Sane gun safety controls and regulations/ rules/ laws: We suffer more gun – related, deaths, in this country, than, most of the rest of the free world! How many more must die, before we take some measures, to control it? Instead of wrapping – themselves, around the 2nd Amendment (or, their interpretations), and claiming, it is one’s right to own a gun, it fails to recognize the reality, that Amendment, actually, focused on State Militia’s, and the Founding Fathers, could not have conceived of the level of today’s guns! Doesn’t it make sense, there should be, some common sense, gun safety – focused, controls and regulations, and to, at least, regulate these, to the degree we regulate automobiles, and drivers (register cars; license drivers, etc)?
3. Public health and safety: Why should public health, become, a partisan political issue? After, over 18 months, of this horrific pandemic, and so many infections, and deaths, and the scientific evidence, of the necessary impacts, of vaccinations, why is this partisan?
4. Climate Change: When, there is so much evidence, of Climate Change, and nearly all climate scientists/ experts, warns us, we need to address this, sooner, rather than later, and the inherent risks, of procrastination, why do we permit some politicians, to deny its existence, for political gain, and/ or, some personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest? Denying it, won’t make it go away!
5. Environment: We can’t leave a sustainable planet, to future generations, unless/ until, we pay keen attention to our environment, especially, clean air and water!
It’s not progressive, if your so – called, idealism, interferes, with necessary, realistic, relevant progress! Demand better and more from your elected officials!